Table of Contents
The client’s implementation need
In 2020, the DemandDynamics Team implemented both Dynamics 365 Sales and Business Central solutions for the Client leveraging the DemandDynamics Power Connector for advanced integration between the two solutions. The Client engaged DemandDynamics to implement a newly engineered Sales Process Flow using Dynamics 365 Sales. The D365 Sales solution uses traditional, out of the box CRM entities: Accounts, Contacts, Leads, Opportunities, Quotes, and Orders.
An accurate timely execution of Sales was facilitated by an effective integration between Dynamics 365 Sales and Business Central using DemandDynamics Power Connector, which is a powerful and extensible integration build with Microsoft Power Automate.
A description of the processes built on the Dynamics 365 Sales and Business Central platform is provided below.
Sales Process Flow
The Sales Process Flow, as illustrated in the attached, is as follows:
- Information is obtained from marketing campaigns, events, or third parties and imported or entered into D365 Sales as Leads.
- Leads are nurtured until qualified – which then generate associated Account and Contact data, which then can be used to develop an Opportunity
- Opportunities are advanced through three stages:
- Develop – facilitated by the Sales team’s pursuit during which it adds user defined “demographics” and metrics to augment the Opportunity’s “profile”
- Propose – incorporate Product (SKUs) and Pricing data from the Client’s accounting system (QuickBooks at the outset of this initiative which was eventually replaced by a Business Central solution – implemented by DemandDynamics) to generate corresponding Quotes and accompanying documentation
- Close – upon receiving an approval of the Quote by the Customer
- Orders are generated upon successful closing of an Opportunity (a win) or upon submission from the Client’s website
- A Customer Purchase Order # is generated and is used to generate a corresponding:
- Invoice in Business Central
- Customer and Order in the Client’s Order Management solution
- Invoices generated in Business Central are sent to the Customer for payment (terms apply)
- Upon receiving payment from the Customer, the Order Fulfillment process is executed
- Upon completion of Order Fulfillment, Order Status is changed to “Fulfilled” in D365 Sales
- Order line items are updated in D365 Sales are updated to further reflect fulfillment
Business Central (NAV)
The Business Central solution implemented for the Client by DemandDynamics further enables the Client’s sales process by:
- Maintaining inventory items and related data such as products and pricing to help populate Opportunities and Quotes facilitated by Sales
- Establishing Customer and Vendor data to help facilitate the generation of Sales Orders and Invoices
- Facilitating the Customer payments according to established terms for each Customer via its Accounts Payable module
- Driving Order Fulfillment by providing the required product information (ex: serial #, product, etc)
Perks of Business Central
The integrated Dynamics 365 solution helped the Client facilitate a fully enabled sales process – empowering its sales team and sales process with integrations to Accounting, Inventory and Order Management functions.
In addition to enhancing the Sales and Order Management processes, Business Central also provides much more robust Accounting features than their prior QuickBooks solution, which helped the Client to facilitate the:
- Accurate and timely recording of all transactions via a newly-defined Chart of Accounts, General Ledger with supporting Dimensions to satisfy organizational structure, bookkeeping, regulatory and tax reporting requirements
- Carrying forward of balances and execution of 2020 transactions to provide an effective starting point from which accurate recording of operations as of the cut-over date were able to commence
- Generation of financial reporting for the Client’s Executive Leadership – Board Members, Owners, CTO, and CFO
The deployed Dynamics 365 – Business Central integrated solution significantly enhanced sales enablement and accounting processing for the Client. Additional initiatives are in progress for the Client related to Customer Service. The DemandDynamics Team is leveraging the Dynamics 365 Customer Service Hub to provide an intelligent Service Management function in support of the Client’s warranty and augmented support plans, as well as augmented Marketing Campaigns via an integration between Dynamics 365 Sales and MailChimp to provide more intelligence on the success of customer outreach as a precursor to the Sales Process Flow.
DemandDynamics may also be engaged to leverage integrations between Business Central and tightly integrated third-party software to help augment the Client’s Manufacturing, Warehouse Management, Advanced Inventory, Production Scheduling, and Quality Control functions to further enhance the automation of their overall operations.