Dynamics GP is an on-premise ERP offering from Microsoft. This business software helps businesses manage their back-end operations on a day-to-day basis.
It reaches areas such as BI, financial management, warehouse management, and inventory management amongst others and has made a worthy name in the business world. With features that tend to various industries and business types, the ERP system creates an impact of its own. Recent times have seen the uproar of cloud technology in the business world and several ERP users take this as a sign to upgrade their systems to the latest Cloud-based ERP systems, and Microsoft’s Dynamics 365 Business Central is a popular pick amongst others.
Why is Dynamics 365 Business Central dominant? What makes it different from Dynamics GP? What will a migration from Dynamics GP to Business Central bring to the table?
What are Some Reasons to Migrate from GP to Business Central?
The decision to upgrade from GP to Business Central can be one to ponder over how it could affect various business functions. However, Business Central is a pillar that numerous companies lean on in a bustling world where time and speed define successful businesses. Listed down are a few reasons a migration can do good for your business:
- Cloud-based solution – A migration from GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central opens gates to a cloud-based ERP solution that can help keep the business up-to-date with features and functionalities that meet user expectations. In addition, maintenance, upgrades, and integrations are made easier with the ERP upgrade.
- Personalized User Interface – Dynamics 365 Business Central has a web-enabled user interface that is intuitive and modern, which allows users to move around with ease. The drill-down options and details of users/individuals are compiled with reports and graphs. The best negotiation for any business is to have a customizable user experience with easy-to-use and role-based functionalities, which helps improve productivity.
- Online data processing – While Dynamics GP is a batch processing system, Dynamics 365 Business Central is an entirely online data processing solution. It eradicates hung batches or interrupted posting for simultaneous transactions, and promotes automatic system integrations.
- Office 365 integration – Dynamics 365 BC is an application within Office 365, and has the ability to integrate with a wide range of Office 365 products. A simple example would be to edit emails within Business Central and its Outlook integration. In addition, it makes recipient searches more effortless and efficient.
- Flexibility – The migration enables users to use the application from any device (laptop, tablet, or mobile), and across several operating systems such as Windows, Apple, and Google Play.
How Will a Business Benefit From a GP to Business Central Migration?
- No more financial series posts: With business central being a fully online data processing solution, the transactions automatically integrate to General Ledger or GL, which eliminates the need for Series posts.
- Reporting capabilities: When data is available on the Cloud, businesses can leverage the analytics and reporting capabilities in Dynamics 365 Business Central. An integration with Power BI, which is embedded within Business Central and Azure, helps store big data and is a worthwhile investment.
- Increase in efficiency: The integration of Business Central with Power Platform, Customer Engagement, and Office 365 helps increase overall business efficiency.
- Mobile businesses: With numerous devices and companies functioning ‘on the move,’ it adds a new work dimension to how and where work can be done and facilitates auto upgrades.
- Maintenance: Business Central brings down Infrastructure management and maintenance costs as Microsoft manages the infrastructure, upgrades, monitoring, and management as part of the subscription maintenance. Dynamics 365 Business Central follows automatic upgrades with new features every new update.
Factors to Consider when Migrating from Dynamics GP to Business Central
Analyze Dynamics GP before migration:
Before a company decides to migrate from GP to Business Central, it is a must to know where GP currently stands in the market and how its future looks. Here are the top facts about GP that you must know:
- Is Dynamics GP still supported? Yes. Microsoft will continue its Dynamics GP support for the immediate future.
- Microsoft has committed to three Dynamics GP updates every year until 2024; it will comprise ongoing development, Intelligent Edge enhancements, and the top features by popular demand of GP users.
- Businesses can host Dynamics GP on-premise or in the Cloud with the help of a hosting provider.
- Being able to host it on Cloud does not mean that Dynamics GP is an authentic cloud product. It will remain an on-premise product and has limits to the level of integration and cloud capabilities it can exhibit.
- Dynamics GP cannot entirely support modern tools and technology as it is more of a legacy product.
Analyze your company:
It is not just important to understand what a Dynamics GP Migration does to your business, it is also essential to know your organization’s current state and direction to evaluate if an ERP migration is necessary for the business to invest in. Modern times and technology require companies to take an entirely different approach towards the industry that they are a part of, and an ERP solution that can support the process and integration with core operational areas. The assessment will pave the way to a wise ERP investment that can increase productivity multifold.
The power of the Cloud:
Microsoft has announced that Dynamics GP will not become a true-cloud application. However, cloud applications are what accelerate business performance in today’s world. It is independent, automated, and can be accessed via a web browser. Several advantages make Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central the market’s favorite, and being a cloud offering is one that tops all the others. Cloud-based ERPs have the following advantages over on-premise ERPs: security, flexibility to work and access data from anywhere and anytime, IT cost reduction, scalability, and easy upgrades.
Steps Involves in Dynamics GP to Business Central Migration
- Validate the business case for the change that is from Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central
- Requirements gathering to know what the business requires
- Assess the Chart of Accounts and reporting requirements,
- Customizations and unique business processes from the current ERP system,
- 3rd party ISV applications and add-ons and past integrations,
- More specialized capabilities or modules
- Review hosting options (SaaS Cloud, On-Premise, or Private Cloud)
- Create the roadmap (Estimates and project plans)
- Migration of data from the current ERP system
- Configure Business Central and add-ons
- Train the end-users to impart ample knowledge on BC and how to use it.
- Maintain ongoing support with the help of a trusted partner
How Much Does it Cost to Migrate GP to Business Central
License migration helps a transition from GP to Business Central at no cost, this way, you leverage new licenses on Azure for $149 per user per month.
Business Central SaaS is similar to Office 365, it includes support, and the price starts from $90 per user per month.
|Professional Services Automation||$59,995|
How can a Migration partner help?
Approach the right migration/implementation partner who can tend to ongoing support and train users efficiently to ensures a high success rate for a GP to D365 Business Central migration.
DemandDynamics is a Gold-certified Microsoft partner and partners with companies across industries to draw up the right migration plans and execute them flawlessly with the help of a trained team of Microsoft experts.
DemandDynamics makes migration easy and feasible with the On-Demand Services that run on a Pay-as-you-use model (You only pay for the services used and for the time utilized). You might be having several questions regarding a migration, the process or about our ODS model and one of our certified experts can give you answers. Talk to our Experts!…